Blountsville Church celebrates 150 years, welcomes new pastorcomment (0)
September 3, 2009
Blountsville Baptist Church celebrated its 150th anniversary July 26 by closing one chapter of its history and preparing for another.
Javon Daniel, who had served as interim pastor of this Friendship Baptist Association church since 2008, offered the benediction at the end of the anniversary service. Milt Hill, who stepped into the pulpit as pastor the following Sunday, took in the scene from the pews as he attended the service.
The message was delivered by W.M. “Max” Todd, who served as pastor from 1964 to 1979 — the longest tenure thus far.
Ed Reaves, a deacon, estimated that 225 people attended the service. According to Greg Hamrick, chairman of deacons, that number is more than double the average of 110 people who usually attend Sunday School each week.
Hamrick, who has been a member of Blountsville Baptist for seven years, believes that the congregation’s commitment to support the church and be in attendance has helped it to prosper.
“Throughout the years, there have been a lot of good people in that church. That’s the main reason the church has been around as long as it has,” he said.
A history prepared by Billie Ann Standridge, the former church historian, indicates that the earliest known record of Blountsville Baptist is a deed dated July 26, 1859.
The deed, drawn up by executors of the John Fowler estate, stipulated that the church would occupy the basement floor of the building while the Masonic lodge used the upper floor.
Since Fowler died in 1849, it is assumed that the church was actually organized prior to that time. Between 1903 and 1905, the congregation moved into a new building across the street from the original structure.
The architecture of that building had some drawbacks though. According to the history posted on the church Web site, the design of the stairways made it difficult to carry a casket into the building.
Also rainwater would collect in the basement. Nonetheless the church remained in that location for about 50 years.
The third and current building on College Street was completed in 1956. (TAB)