Hughes Memorial celebrates 100 years of servicecomment (0)
January 27, 2011
December 12 marked the end of a year of celebration for Hughes Memorial Baptist Church, Pinson. The Birmingham Baptist Association church spent 2010 “Celebrating 100 Years in the Lord’s Service.”
Throughout the year, the church presented its history in slideshows weekly. Each month, the church bell was rung following services to mark the centennial. More than 300 people gathered Sept. 26 to celebrate homecoming. Former Pastor Richard Coggin presented the message. Pat Musselwhite of the Alabama Baptist Historical Commission and Mike McLemore, executive director of Birmingham Association, presented the church with plaques. Following lunch in the fellowship hall, the youth and deacons released balloons to mark the occasion.
On Dec. 12, Hughes Memorial Baptist held a candlelight service to close its centennial celebration. Church historian Katie Adkins extinguished the centennial candle representing 1910–2010. Pastor David Crowe lit the next century’s candle and presented the church’s theme for this year, “The Journey Continues: Praising Our Lord Into the Second Century.”
Hughes Memorial was built in 1910 and named after Matthew Hughes, who furnished the lumber for its construction. A tornado destroyed the church in 1917. The current building was constructed in 1965.