Jesusí love compels response to hunger issuescomment (0)
September 27, 2012
When Southern Baptists observe their annual World Hunger Sunday on Oct. 14 they will be called to act out the love of Jesus.
Scripture recounts several instances where Jesus saw a crowd, was moved with compassion for them and took action to meet their needs. The Greek word translated ‘compassion’ refers to tender emotions, deeply felt feelings or a deep churning in a person’s spirit. We might call it “gut-wrenching.”
That kind of compassion compels a response. Churches and other groups who want to engage world hunger have a variety of resources available to them.
Baptist Global Response (BGR) offers videos and a variety of ideas to help churches and groups plan world hunger awareness and fundraising events. Among the ideas:
- f30 Weekend — A fun way to help people, young and old, become aware of and impact world hunger. It is also great for team building, prayer, fasting, college campuses or weekend retreats.
- Harvest Festival — A variety of educational activities can help children better understand world hunger and what they can do to make a difference.
- Run for Their Lives — A 5k run to raise funds. Instead of “running for your life,” this is truly a race to “Run for Their Lives.” This is a great and simple idea to raise money and community awareness for world hunger.
The videos are available under the “media” tab of BGR’s World Hunger Sunday page. Visit www.gobgr.org and click on the World Hunger Sunday icon.
BGR’s partners in hunger relief also have helpful resources.
A particularly noteworthy item is World Hunger 101, a two-hour event that explores the issue of world hunger. The downloadable event pack from Woman’s Missionary Union includes suggestions about ways to introduce the topic and how to consolidate a full understanding of issues related to hunger.
Each age-level session plan includes promotion ideas and hunger project ideas. World Hunger 101 is available for download at www.wmustore.com.
A wide variety of resources also can be found at www.worldhungerfund.com, the homepage for the Southern Baptist World Hunger Fund (WHF).
Among the free downloadable resources:
- Bulletin inserts, the WHF logo, mini-poster ads, videos and a PowerPoint presentation.
- Soup can labels to create receptacles for WHF donations.
- A coloring book depicting real people whose lives are being touched through Southern Baptist hunger ministries.
- A drama script that can be used to educate church groups on the Christian mandate to minister to the poor.
Among the low-cost items available for order on the site:
- “Impact World Hunger,” a four-page publication, sized for easy placement in most church bulletins, that also can be used as a stand-alone handout.
- World Hunger Bread Bank to help churches, schools or community groups fight world hunger by collecting money to donate to the WHF.
- WHF offering envelopes.
- A “B.E.A.T. Hunger” retreat kit.
The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission also provides resources at erlc.com/hunger:
- Articles on topics such as biblical directives for combating hunger and poverty and how to begin a hunger ministry.
Two sermons, “The Ministry of the Open Hand” and “Do Justice to the Afflicted and Needy.”