Alabamians to lead at SBC annual meetingcomment (0)
May 22, 2014
Alabama Baptists will be among those serving during the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) annual meeting in Baltimore, Md., June 10–11.
Appointments to the Committee on Committees were announced by SBC President Fred Luter Jr., in accordance with SBC Bylaw 19. The Committee on Committees will assemble in Baltimore just prior to the annual meeting to nominate members of the Committee on Nominations who, in turn, nominate trustees for the boards of SBC entities. SBC Bylaw 19 also provides that the Committee on Committees “shall nominate all special committees authorized during the sessions of the Convention not otherwise provided for.”
The Committee on Committees has 68 members, two from each of the 34 states and regions qualified for representation on boards of SBC entities.
Alabama’s committee members are Dennis Culbreth, pastor of First Baptist Church, Jasper, and Bobby Burt, pastor of University Baptist Church, Huntsville.
Alabama Baptists also are among those nominated to serve on the SBC Executive Committee (EC), the four denominational boards — International Mission Board (IMB), North American Mission Board (NAMB), LifeWay Christian Resources and GuideStone Financial Resources — the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC), the six seminaries and the Committee on Order of Business. Nominees were selected by the 2014 SBC Committee on Nominations and will serve if elected by messengers to the annual meeting.
Those nominated from Alabama are:
- D. Wayne Myrick, a member of Hunter Street Baptist Church, Hoover, and R. Ron Madison, pastor of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Huntsville, nominated for a second term on the EC.
- David S. Puckett, layperson and member of Shades Mountain Baptist Church, Vestavia Hills, to serve on GuideStone’s board with term to expire in 2018.
- Cecil M. Sanders Jr., pastor of First Baptist Church, Headland, to serve as an IMB trustee with term to expire in 2018.
- Mike D. McLemore, executive director of Birmingham Baptist Association, to serve as a NAMB trustee with term to expire in 2018. And Charles M. (Danny) Wood, pastor of Shades Mountain Baptist Church, Vestavia Hills, nominated for a second term.
- N. Bruce Moseley, pastor of Zion Baptist Church, Mobile, nominated to serve a second term with LifeWay.
Larry W. Felkins, director of missions for Chilton Baptist Association, nominated to serve a second term on board of Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary in Mill Valley, Calif.