Ready for a road trip?comment (0)
October 12, 2006
• Look at maps and plan your route.
• Make estimates of travel times along the route to plan rest and meal stops and to avoid rush hour traffic in cities.
• Have your car inspected and the oil changed. Prepare it for the weather you will encounter.
• Check your car’s license plate, registration and insurance information to make sure it is all valid. Have insurance information in your car.
• For information on road conditions, construction and rest areas, visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Web site at www.dot.gov. The site includes links to information on safety and scenic byways.
• Give older children a map of their own to keep track of your progress.
• Be careful when using rest stops. Pass them up if they seem unsafe, and always accompany children into the restroom.