New Hinson Church celebrates being debt-free comment (0)
August 7, 2008
New Hinson Baptist Church, Slocomb, recently held a note-burning ceremony to celebrate the payment of loans on its family life center and a piece of land.
The ceremony was made possible, in part, through an offering plan in which families were asked to give up one meal eaten out per month and donate the amount that meal would have cost to the building fund. Each family that committed to the plan signed a private pledge card that was placed in a small model of the family life center.
The meal offering, plus special offerings and the transfer of proceeds to the building fund after monthly financial commitments were met, resulted in a five-year commitment to pay off the loans taking a little more than three years.
Organized June 14, 1942, the Geneva Baptist Association church started out in a one-room building. Services were held the fourth Saturday night and Sunday of the month. Sunday School was held every Sunday.
Over the years, New Hinson Baptist’s facilities have grown to include a pastorium and sanctuary to seat about 300 with an educational wing. When the new sanctuary was built, the original was converted to a fellowship hall and classrooms.
In February 2004, the church completed its family life center, which includes 14 classrooms, a conference room and space for a library and commercial kitchen.
Around the time the family life center was completed, an opportunity arose to purchase 20 acres adjacent to New Hinson’s property. The purchase was completed the following year.
Dennis Singletary is pastor.