Pastor Hal K. Jacks, of Wedowee Baptist Church, and his wife were among the new group of missionaries to serve in Indonesia. (TAB)
In Feb. 23, 1916, B.D. Gray, corresponding secretary of the Home Mission Board (now North American Mission Board), reported to The Alabama Baptist, “Our work in Cuba grows steadily and encouragingly.”
The mission focused on four western provinces of the island and the majority of missionaries were in Santa Clara. The quickly growing Cuban population was a difficult challenge for missionaries. The ratio at the time was 1 missionary to every 50,000 people. (TAB)
The action came despite strong opposition from some pastors who argued Southern women did not want to engage in the public forum.
The convention vote complied with a request by the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) asking all states to appoint Central Committees to promote missions.
Mrs. L.A. Hamilton was the first president. The following year the Central Committee became the Alabama Woman’s Missionary Union (WMU) affiliated with the SBC WMU Auxiliary. (TAB)
In February 1866 the South was in the early stages of reconstruction and many cities were having a difficult time recovering.
On Saturday, Feb. 4, 1843, the first issue of The Alabama Baptist was published in Marion. Milo Jewett, president of Judson Female Institute, was listed as senior editor. The paper was printed by Love and Dykous, publishers of the Marion Herald.
The Committee on Periodicals of the Alabama Baptist State Convention quickly recommended and messengers approved the new paper as the convention’s official organ for communicating with cooperating churches. (TAB)
Information on reserving copies of the history being written for TAB‘s 175th anniversary is available by emailing email@example.com or by calling 1-800-803-5201.